Monday, October 19, 2009

Purpose Statement

I want to know God more deeply...
therefore, I must seek Him daily.

I want to be like Christ...
therefore, I must study His character.

I want to cherish and inspire my husband...
therefore, I must put my wants aside and go out of my way to help him.

I want to have warmth and peace in my home...
therefore, I must submit to my husband and allow God to do His work.

I want to impact my children in a Godly way...
therefore, I must teach them about Him and give them the same grace, love and forgiveness He's given me.

I want to believe that God can do in my children's lives what I cannot do...
therefore, I must put my faith in Him and pray for them daily.

I want people to know I am a Christian...
therefore, I must stop focusing on myself and find ways to serve others and them about Jesus.


This summer, my mentor and I met weekly and did the study from the book, "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. In one of the chapters, she challenges the reader to come up with a purpose statement for their life, which is what you just read from me above. It was very challenging but worth it. I had written out all of the "wants" in my life (the important ones), but wasn't doing much to get it done. I asked God what I needed to do to have my wants fulfilled and that is where the "therefore, I must..." came in. My purpose statement helps me direct my focus back to Him when life seems to get out of hand. I would recommend praying and asking God to give you a "purpose statement" for your life, too!

No comments: